Choquequirao Trek (meaning ‘cradle of gold’) was discovered in the 18th century by a French explorer, it fascinated 19th century explorers and was also visited by Hiram Bingham prior to his discovery of Machu Picchu.
Grandiose and mysterious, this abandoned city has lots of parallels with Machu Picchu and there are a variety of theories about its function. It is only relatively recently, however, that COPESCO (the official body responsible for tourism in Peru) has partially cleared the site and there remains a lot more to be discovered along the Choquequirao Trek.
Lying in a cloud forest, a dramatic 1150 metres (3772 feet) above the Apurimac River and surrounded by a fascinating landscape created by the Vilcabamba mountain range,The Choquekirao Trek has everything to offer a trekker. However, due to its remote location, few tourists visited this site in the past. Fortunately, COPESCO, have now also constructed a footbridge over the Apurimac River, below the site, making it more accessible to reach.
It is a challenging but amazing experience to hike down to the depths of Apurimac Canyon and then up to the site in the clouds…
For the Choquequirao Trek We pick you up from your hotel at about at 5.00 am and travel by bus, for about 4 hours to to the small village of Cachora where we will meet our horseman and mules. We will begin our trek along the edge of the Apurimac canyon and follow the trail, enjoying the dramatic landscapes and a variety of plant and animal life until we reach our campsite chiquiska or ‘La Playa Rosa Linda’ (1650m/5413ft).
We will get up early, have breakfast and begin our walk by crossing the Apurimac River and then descending to the lowest point on the trail. Following this, we have a steep ascent through a thick cloud forest towards the Inca site of Choquekirao. We will have lunch and then time to relax and enjoy the archeological zone, plants, animals (hopefully condors), and views of nearby canyons and snow-capped mountains (Soray – 5428m/17808ft andTuncarway 5910m/19389ft). We will camp close to the site (3033m/9950ft).
Today, we will have breakfast followed by a 3-hour guided tour around Choquekirao itself. After this, we descend to our last campsite, ‘Santa Rosa’.
We will wake to birds’ songs and beautiful scenery. We will walk to Cachora and from there take a bus back to Cusco to arrive at about 7 or 8 pm this is the end of our Choquequirao trek.
Includes + Not Includes
Included At the choquequirao trek :
- Professional, Speaking English Tour Guide and Assistant Guide (for groups of 8 or more people)
- Collection from hotel ( we will come to pick you up )
- Round trip local bus (Cusco-Cachora-Cusco)
- Entrance fees to Choquequirao
- Food : 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 afternoon snacks, 3 dinners and various snacks to be eaten throughout the day
- Camping equipment Dining and cooking tent with table and chairs
- Tent capacity 4 people to be use only for 2 paxs so you will have more room to storage your own luggage
- Horseman and mules (they just carry cooking and camping equipment)
- 7 kilos of your personal belongins to be carry by the horses
- Therma rest air mattress
- First Aid kit
Doesn’t Include at the Choquequirao Trek:
- Breakfast on the first day and lunch on the last day
- And if you need something to hire from us, we will for you, without any deposit (because most of the rent camping
- Shops use to ask like 50 or 60 dolars for anything you want to take.
What you need to take for he Choquequirao Trek:
- Walking boots (with ankle protectors )
- Waterproof jacket/rain poncho
- Warm jacket, hat and gloves
- Comfortable trousers
- Sun protection cream (factor 35 recommended)
- Insect repellent minimum 30% deet
- Personal medication
- Camera and films
- Torch with spare batteries
Optional items to take for the Chqoquequirao Trek:
- Walking poles (with rubber tip) they can also be hired from us
- Plasters and bandages
- Bathing suit (for hot springs) in conoc , ( optional )
- Extra contribution suggested money for tipping porters ,cook and guide and for any emergency (200 soles )
Price & availability
We can leave any day of the week, as long as permits are available. Please remember, permits are only needed for your start date.
2018Fixed Departure Date (March 2018 through January 2019):
July : 2nd (2pp)
Private Tours are based on Group Size for the Choquequirao Trek:
Two trekkers: 550 USD$
Three trekkers: 530 USD$
Four trekkers: 520 USD$
Five – Six trekkers: 500 USD$
Seven – Ten trekkers: 480 USD$